Security is very important to us at Codecademy and we want to ensure that we are helping our users take all of the steps necessary to protect their accounts.
We have two sets of requirements for the password associated with your Codecademy account:
- Make sure your password is complex enough that it can’t be easily guessed:
- Use at least 8 characters
- Use a mix of uppercase and lowercase characters
- Use at least 1 number
- Use at least 1 special character
- Do not use common passwords like “password”, “qwerty”, or “123456”
- Do not use a password that has been previously compromised in a security breach at another company
- When security breaches happen at other companies, lists of compromised passwords can fall into the hands of bad actors. They will systematically try these known passwords on other websites to see if they can compromise other accounts.
- If we detect that the password that you have been using is found in a list of compromised passwords, we will require that you change it.
If you would like to check if your email and password have been compromised, we suggest using sites such as this one.