By the end of Programming with Python, you’ll have an understanding of software architecture, code reuse and readability, computer science concepts, and Python syntax. Throughout the Intensive, you’ll build on top of what was last learned, strengthening your coding muscle as you progress all the way through the finish line!
*Please note that this course is taught in Python 3
Unit 1: Getting started with Python
Learn the basics of Python syntax.
- Syntax, Print, Introduction to data types: ints/floats, strings, booleans, comments and assigning variables
Unit 2: Code Organization and Reuse
Factor your code into reusable components and write complex programs with branching logic.
- Functions, Positional vs. Keyword arguments, Whitespace, Scope, and Anonymous Functions. Boolean operators, Special types of testing (e.g., ‘is not None’ & ‘type checking’), If statement, Else statement, and Elif statement.
Unit 3: Sequences and Iteration
Use Python's list structure to store sequential data. Iterate through lists using different kinds of loops.
- Lists, List methods, Selecting portions of a list, Negative indices, and Strings(because they behave like lists, too!).
- for Loops, range, and while Loops.
Unit 4: Text Manipulation
Learn how to handle text with Pythons string methods. Parse and process blocks of text quickly and easily.
- String Methods and Functions
Unit 5: Key-Value Pairs
Explore the versatility of the Python dictionary. Store data practically and efficiently.
Unit 6: Object Oriented Programming
Create your own data types with classes. Solve hard problems by creating and composing simple meaningful building blocks.
Unit 7: Capstone Projects (yes, 2!)
1. Build a Book Review
Practice writing classes, dictionaries, and using persistent storage.
2. Solve a Murder Mystery
Use Python to analyze different writing samples. Build a natural language processing engine and prove you can perform sophisticated coding tasks, opening up doors to machine learning and software engineering.